VW confirms that its US strategy is failing - VW Taigun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
VW confirms that its US strategy is failing

From time to time you read an article or have a little flame war about how much VW's US strategy is failing. Today we get confirmation from VW itself, that indeed its strategy is failing.

Bernd Osterloh, head of VW's works council and a member of VW's "power supervisory board" basically said that he thinks that VW's US performance sucks, and its not going to get better anytime soon.

Quote:
He suggested that VW's entire U.S. strategy has broken down, citing an anemic sales force and a lack of sufficient variety in its models. He also said VW is out of touch with the tastes of American drivers.
"The situation in the U.S. is a disaster," he said. "The worm has to taste good to the fish, not the fisherman. Sometimes I have the impression that it's the other way around with us."
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM

At least they know their problem, thats the first step. Now they need to work on giving america better vehicles. thats if they even want to do that
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:43 PM

the REAL problem IMO is poor quality coming out of the mexican facilities. a euro VW is head and sholders above the quality of NA VW's. Even if they have improved their reputation is tarnished...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM

seems like they almost have no choice but to produce in nations like Mexico.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM

I think that the problem is the VW vehicle line-up. Most of their cars look really boring now. The Golf, Passat and Jetta all look pretty generic. The Tiguan is a bit more exciting though, and they do have the new Beetle.

I think VW needs to find something new and exciting to bring to its designs. Volvo used to be super boring but they have stepped it up and are giving more exciting designs now. VW should do the same.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
"The worm has to taste good to the fish, not the fisherman

Quote of the year.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
I think that the problem is the VW vehicle line-up. Most of their cars look really boring now. The Golf, Passat and Jetta all look pretty generic. The Tiguan is a bit more exciting though, and they do have the new Beetle.

I think VW needs to find something new and exciting to bring to its designs. Volvo used to be super boring but they have stepped it up and are giving more exciting designs now. VW should do the same.
my counter to that is how come when those identical vehicles are sold in europe they sell extremely well. I'm sticking with quality. I remember a friend of mine in college picked up a new golf, this would of been 06-07 and the minute cold weather hit his drivers side window motor feck off, shattered window right there. The gas shocks in the hatch completely froze, and worst of all plastic pieces in the cabin started to fall off!

This is not how you entice people to spend their dollars with you!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM

I find VW quality to be acceptable

And in terms of luxury they have borrowed alot from Audi (at least the top trim VW models)
The base models of course aren't going to come with much.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I wasn't aware of quality issues with VW vehicles. Obviously that should be fixed if it is happening though.

I think that these models sell well in Europe because Europe has different taste in vehicles than the US. The best selling vehicles in Europe are not the best selling vehicles in North America. VW needs to either update its vehicle line-up or introduce a few models in order to start playing ball again in the USA.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurm! View Post
I wasn't aware of quality issues with VW vehicles. Obviously that should be fixed if it is happening though.

I think that these models sell well in Europe because Europe has different taste in vehicles than the US. The best selling vehicles in Europe are not the best selling vehicles in North America. VW needs to either update its vehicle line-up or introduce a few models in order to start playing ball again in the USA.
Well hold on a second. The Jetta, Golf and Tiguan face nearly identical vehicle competition in Europe as they do in the US. The success of Audi transcended the atlantic ocean, and audis are simply VW's dressed well.

Where do they differ?

All Audis come out of germany (even for america), all VW's come out of mexico (for america).