VW confirms that its US strategy is failing - Page 2 - VW Taigun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Audi's are much more than VW's dressed well, at least now they are.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurm! View Post
I wasn't aware of quality issues with VW vehicles. Obviously that should be fixed if it is happening though.

I think that these models sell well in Europe because Europe has different taste in vehicles than the US. The best selling vehicles in Europe are not the best selling vehicles in North America. VW needs to either update its vehicle line-up or introduce a few models in order to start playing ball again in the USA.
I think this is because VW plays in the realm of the entry level cars along with the domestic brands and japanese brands

And the japanese brands have always done very welll. And the domestic brands are getting much stronger - especially with many americans supporting domestic brands over imported. That leaves VW kind of in an awkward corner.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodinblack View Post
I think this is because VW plays in the realm of the entry level cars along with the domestic brands and japanese brands

And the japanese brands have always done very welll. And the domestic brands are getting much stronger - especially with many americans supporting domestic brands over imported. That leaves VW kind of in an awkward corner.
yes but VW competes well with the Japanese in Europe, its only in NA that they get their lunch eaten....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think that VW would do well to turn up the styling on its vehicles just a notch or two. I know what VWs look like but I can't tell you a defining design element that VW is known for. I think VW has to set itself apart from other companies by taking a bit more risk.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM

they seem to be taking on more design cues from audi which is always a good thing!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM

VW seems to be changings things up a bit
maybe still trying to find what works for them thats still modern enough
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 AM

Audis are dressed well VW's. Point and case, do your platform research. Powertrains, all shared. BUT AUDIS HAVE LASERS, dressed well. My point exactly.

Go on believing its subjective metrics such as styling, by all means. Doesn't mean its true

Hammer Time: Fharverg-nuttin! | The Truth About Cars

Quote:
Because for most of the last 15 years, VW has cheaped out on quality parts like a broke Chinese construction company cheaps out on quality concrete. The mothership may blame Inaki Lopez and his minions for that turn in quality. But the truth? The absolute truth?

VW doesn’t care. They have screwed their consumer base for the sole pursuit of short-term profits here in North America for a very long time and are finally, by the grace of God, paying for those sins. Their cheaped out latest offerings in the United States continue to do them no favors, and I’m willing to bet that the “We’re #1 at over 100k!” remark will not resonate in a marketplace where 200k has already become yesterday’s 100k.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Depends on what you are shopping for

If you are looking between an A4 and a Jetta yes there are resemblances and a top trim Jetta is still a very nice car

But there are cars you can't get from VW.

Audi RS4, S4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, R8

Audi is the upscale Jetta just like Acura is the upscale Honda. Infiniti is upscale Nissan. Lexus is upscale Toyota, etc.

You could argue that certain Audis are poor mans Lamborghinis. Soon Porsche too since VW owns freaking everything.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 AM

That is true.
VW did improve the Jetta by a lot, the current generation is really nice, much more like an Audi, it even has a design language that reminds you of an Audi.